Das Online-Portal der Broadway League für Broadway-Veranstaltungen in New York City und in ganz Nordamerika
Vaccination and Mask Policy for Broadway Shows in NYC. Read more.
Detroit, MI 48226 USA
Certain engagements and performances at this theatre may be canceled or postponed due to COVID-19. Those with tickets for canceled or postponed performances should contact their point of purchase for information. For questions regarding upcoming performance schedules, please contact the venue directly by visiting their official website.The Detroit Opera House was originally opened January 12, 1922, as the Capitol Theater. At the time of its gala premiere, the 4,250-seat theater claimed to be the fifth largest in the world. The theater was the first in a series of palatial vaudeville and moving picture houses built in the Grand Circus Park area in the 1920s. Designed by renowned Detroit architect C. Howard Crane, whose genius for theater design took him to cities around the nation, the building was constructed with superb acoustics and in the style of the grand European opera houses. Crane also designed such Detroit landmarks as the Fox Theater, State Theater, and the acoustically perfect Orchestra Hall. The Capitol Theater was resplendently decorated in the Italian Renaissance style with lavish crystal chandeliers, frescoes, brass fixtures, marble stairways and drinking fountains. Rich rose-red Italian damask was used for the main-stage curtain and draperies throughout the house. Most of these features are present today in the Detroit Opera House. In the fall of 1929, the Capitol Theater became the Paramount Theater and, in 1934, was renamed the Broadway Capitol Theater. Within the first few decades, the grand theater hosted the likes of Will Rogers, Louis Armstrong, Betty Hutton, Guy Lombardo and Duke Ellington; and later, Gale Storm, Sal Mineo and many of the rock and roll stars of the 1950s. After several years of near decay the theater underwent a minor restoration in the 1960. The renamed and reconfigured 3,367-seat Grand Circus Theater became a movie house once again. The Grand Circus Theater closed its doors in 1978 and reopened under the same name in 1981. From 1981 to 1985 the theater ran intermittently, presenting a diversity of entertainment from mainstream artists Ray Charles and Roy Orbison to an alternative rock series entitled "Grand Circus Live." The 1922 palace closed its doors for the last time in November of 1985, after a small fire. The theater reopened three years later as the home of the Michigan Opera Theatre.
*Bei allen Aufführungsterminen und Informationen sind Änderungen vorbehalten. Eine vollständige Übersicht über kommende Veranstaltungen finden Sie auf der Website des Theaters.